Skip to main content

Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor will square off in Las Vegas in August


Former multi-division boxing world champion Floyd Mayweather has announced he will fight UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor in Las Vegas on August 26.

The high-profile duo both took to Twitter on Wednesday evening to confirm the eagerly-awaited showdown will definitely be occurring.

The fight is to take place under normal boxing rules, despite McGregor having never boxed either as an amateur or professionally.


The 40-year-old Mayweather is unbeaten as a professional boxer and announced his retirement after winning his 49th consecutive bout against Andre Berto in September 2015.


Mayweather said "it's official" on his Instagram account next to a picture of both fighters while McGregor had tweeted "THE FIGHT IS ON" several minutes earlier, cheekily posting a picture of himself adjacent to one of Mayweather's father, Floyd Sr.

The 28-year-old McGregor has been pushing for the fight for some time and it came together this week, with Nevada boxing officials approving the date on Wednesday.

Promoter Dana White told American sports broadcaster ESPN the fight will take place at the T-Mobile Arena and the pair will wear 10-ounce boxing gloves.

Mayweather has been installed as a heavy favourite by Las Vegas oddsmakers and many pundits dismiss McGregor's chances under boxing rules against one of the greatest defensive fighters in history.

However, the bout is sure to generate enormous interest and Mayweather will reportedly be paid over $100m US for the contest.

McGregor has become one of the most recognisable mixed martial artists in the world since he won the UFC featherweight title in December 2015.


After splitting two high-profile bouts with Nate Diaz, McGregor knocked out Eddie Alvarez to add the organisation's lightweight title in December last year.

He and McGregor first mooted the idea of a fight in a series of exchanges on social media, in which the Irishman urged Mayweather to step up and sign.

The fight will draw comparisons with the 15-round draw Muhammad Ali fought against Japanese professional wrestler Antonio Inoki in Tokyo in 1976, in which each man was allowed to use his own respective talent.

Sky Sports boxing producer Jon Beloff said: "The level of interest in this fight really has been phenomenal.

"Conventional wisdom says that Mayweather, who is probably the finest pure boxer of his generation and maybe one of the best of all-time, has a massive advantage going into this fight.

The unbeaten Floyd Mayweather is regarded as one of the greatest boxers of all time

"Conor McGregor is a massive star in MMA and UFC but has never gone inside a boxing ring before.

"But, there is the element of the unknown. Floyd Mayweather is 41 now and has been out of the ring for two years.

"People are asking, 'If Conor can hit him with his powerful left hand, will Mayweather be able to survive that?'."

Source: http://www.skysports.com/

Popular posts from this blog

10 Top Sexiest League of Legends Skins

One of the largest games in the world, League of Legends is no stranger to well-done character creation and character appearance. As a Free To Play game, though, Riot Games, the game's creator, needed a way to recoup their costs and make it a truly profitable game. Enter the idea of skins. Just like many other Free to Play games, players can purchase new champion outfits (also known as skins) to customize their champion in a new way. As over 90% of League of Legends players are male, it may come as no surprise that many of the female champion skins are pretty easy on the eyes. Short skirts, bare stomachs, and long legs are the par for many of the available female champion skins. Not all sexy skins are created equal, though. Here at some of the 10 Top Sexiest League of Legends skins. Some are still available for purchase while others will just have to be something you lust over. Click Here to Continue

League Of Legends Defends Rune Changes, Says The Transition Costs Them Money

(Photo: League of Legends) With the upcoming changes to League of Legends' runes and masteries being discussed more and more as Keystone Runes and reimbursement plans are revealed, lots of players are becoming uncertain or downright upset with how the transition is being handled. Amid plentiful player complaints and questions, the devs in charge of making everything in League of Legends run smoothly have responded to some of the concerns, saying that the transition to the new system is better for the entire game in the long run and even costs the game money due to the new runes being free. The issue regarding runes, their cost, and how players are being paid back for their years of investment has grown to a pretty convoluted state with plenty of questions swirling about, so we've broken down exactly what the issues are as well as how Riot Games is responding to concerns. Issue: The Old Runes Are Leaving, New Runes Are Free (Photo: Riot Games) With the new Runes ...

‘League of Legends’ creator sues ‘Mobile Legends’ developer for copyright infringement

Shanghai Moonton Technology’s “Mobile Legends” has certainly been quite a hit for Pinoy mobile gamers. But for PC gamers familiar with the massive multiplayer title “League of Legends” (LoL), both games look eerily and disturbingly similar. According to a lawsuit recently filed in the Central District Court of California, Riot Games is suing the mobile game developer for allegedly copying the interface and overall game play of LoL. The game titles in question are Moonton’s “Mobile Legends: 5V5 MOBA”, “Mobile Legends: Bang Bang” and “Magic Rush: Heroes”, Dotaesports.com reported. The lawsuit enumerated several details of its original title and compared it to Moonton’s mobile version—starting with the games’ respective logos. Image from Riot Games’ lawsuit. A side-by-side comparison of Riot’s “Summoner’s Rift” and its “Mobile Legends” counterpart highlighted its seemingly intended likeness. Image from Riot Games’ lawsuit. Image from Riot Games’ lawsuit. ...